I know that there is little the U.S. Mint can do without congress’s permission, but sometimes sifting through what congress is doing can be tiresome. There is so much good that congress can do but the political in-fighting is so insidious that all one can do is shake their head in disgust. At least there is one interesting item to report:
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Sponsor: Sen. Rodney Davis (R-IL)
• Introduced: January 6, 2015
• Passed House of Representatives on January 6, 2015
• Passed Senate with amendments on July 30, 2015
• Conference report presented to Senate on November 5, 2015
• Conference committee convened November 18, 2015
• Of significance to numismatics:
- SEC. 73002. AMERICAN EAGLE SILVER BULLION 30TH ANNIVERSARY: Proof and uncirculated versions of ASE coins during 2016 shall have a smooth edge incused with a designation that notes the 30th anniversary of the first issue of coins.
Track this bill at https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr22
In other words, congress is mandating a 30th Anniversary American Silver Eagle set. I wonder if it will match the 25th Anniversary set?
Image of American Eagle set courtesy of the U.S. Mint