About your blog host
Hello! My name is Scott and I have been your blog host since 2005!
I started collecting coins at 10 years old searching through my father’s pocket change filling those ubiquitous blue folders. A few years later, I started to deliver Newsday in Inwood, Long Island where I continued to plug those folder holes with the change received from delivering newspapers. Through my teen years, which included a move to Charlotte, I amassed a modest collection mainly from pocket change. One of my early passions were the United States bicentennial coins.
Like many young numismatists, my collecting pursuits waned when I entered college. After college, life took over. Even though my folders and my complete album of Roosevelt dimes traveled with me, I would only show a passing interest in them while navigating through my career and everything else that went along with young adulthood.
Following the untimely death of my first wife, I was looking for something to occupy my time and found the coin albums and folders on my shelf. Slowly I started collecting again but this time taking the time to learn more about what I am collecting. Once again, I became hooked on numismatics. That began my latest journey that started with joining the Montgomery County Coin Club. Finding a club with an active membership, I embraced the challenge to become more active and looked to make an immediate impact. Shortly after joining, I became Webmaster of the MCCC website (montgomerycoinclub.org) and began to contribute to meetings with presentations. Eventually, I was elected to the MCCC Board of Directors before being first elected club president in 2008.
Over the years I have diversified my collection to a few different areas. The main part of my collection is 20th-century coins. Along with my original Lincoln cent collection, I have assembled collections of various types of coins in this era. For this collection, I am not concerned with modern (post-1964) versus classic era (up to 1964) coins. If they were struck by the United States Mint in the 20th century, I am interested. I have also added coins, currency, and exonumia related to my hometown of Brooklyn and New York City; Maryland Colonial currency; Israeli currency; Canadian coins; and anything else that I look at and say, “oh, neat!”
- Member No. R-210115 since 2003
- Member of the ANA Technology Committee 2012-present
- Appointed Technology Committee Chair in 2017
- Member since 2002
- Board Member 2005-2007, 2011, 2015-present
- President 2008-2009, 2013-2014
- Vice President 2010, 2012
- Member since 2008
- Club Representative 2008-2011, 2016
- Vice President 2012-2013
- President 2014-2015
RED BOOK CONTRIBUTOR
Contributor to A Guide Book of United States Coins
Since the 2018 Edition
- “Constructing the ANA’s New Web Presence,” March 2014.
The Maryland Numismatist
- “Maryland Colonial and State Currency,” Winter 2010 (Vol. 38, No. 1)
- “A Brief History of Anti-Counterfeiting Devices,” Autumn 2011 (Vol. 39, No. 4)
- “SSB Dollar Kickoff,” Summer 2012 (Vol. 40, No. 3)
- “The 80th Anniversary of Unintended Consequences,” Autumn 2013 (Vol. 41, No. 3)
- “Hamilton was Right in Creating the U.S. Mint,” October 14, 2008
- “Mint Does What It’s Told by Law to Do,” September 22, 2009
- “Founders Called For One Currency,” April 11, 2011
- “Anthem Program Gets Going,” March 8, 2012
- “It’s time to take politics out of U.S. Mint director position,” January 20, 2012
- “2010 Lincoln Cent Design Thoughts,” June 8, 2009
- “The Lincoln Cent: Endearing Art Duplicated Over 450 Billion Times,” August 7, 2009
- “A Look at United States Mint Coins for 2010,” December 30, 2009
- “PCGS Photograde Online and iPhone Review,” January 25, 2010
- “America the Beautiful Quarters, CCAC Dropped the Ball… AGAIN!,” January 26, 2010
- “PCGS’s Big One, PCGS Secure Plus™, Is A Big Deal,” March 30, 2010
- “BEP, US Treasury Web Sites Hacked,” May 4, 2010
- “‘America The Beautiful’ Trademark US Mint Owned?,” June 1, 2010
- “Security Tips & Awareness Help Protect Coins During Travel,” June 22, 2010
- “Designs Revealed for 2011 Coins Commemorating Medal of Honor Anniversary,” October 25, 2010
- “Coin Legislation Passed into Law or Awaiting Action,” November 16, 2010
- “Congress and Numismatics in 2011,” January 3, 2012
- “Looking at 2012 Numismatically,” January 10, 2012
Contributor to the Official Blackbook series of price guides. Authored the chapter “How to Use Technology to Enhance You Collecting experience” that was tailored for each of the Blackbook topics.