The 113th congress was gaveled into session at noon on January 3, 2013 as required by the U.S. Constitution. First meeting of the new congress are largely procedural that includes giving the oath of office to anyone that was elected (the entire House of Representatives and one-third of the Senate) and electing leaders. Congress began their legislative calendar on January 4.
H.R. 77: Free Competition in Currency Act of 2013
To repeal the legal tender laws, to prohibit taxation on certain coins and bullion, and to repeal superfluous sections related to coinage.
Sponsor: Rep. Paul Broun Jr. (R-GA)
• Introduced on January 3, 2013
• Referred to the Financial Services, Ways and Means, and the Judiciary Committees on January 3, 2013
Track this bill at http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr77
H.R. 220: Stop the Coin Act
To limit the face value of coins that the Secretary of the Treasury may issue.
Sponsor: Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR)
• Introduced on January 14, 2013
• Referred to the House Committee on Financial Services on January 14, 2013
Track this bill at http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr220
S. 94: To terminate the $1 presidential coin program
Sponsor: Sen. David Vitter (R-LA)
• Introduced on January 23, 2013
• Referred to the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs on January 23, 2013
Track this bill at http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s94